Vice-president, human resources
Bitumar Inc. is a privately-owned company specializing in the production of liquid bitumens used in asphalt mixes for road paving and roofing. Our mission is to produce safe, environmentally friendly, high-quality bitumen products.
Bitumar and its employees are guided by values of excellence that are expressed in their daily work. Occupational health and safety, respect for the environment, results orientation, entrepreneurship, trust and respect, family spirit and teamwork: these values foster a healthy corporate culture.
The job and its challenges
Reporting to the President, you will be responsible for all aspects of the human resources function and will manage all HR activities for the company in Canada and the USA.
As a member of the Executive Committee, you will be responsible for developing the company’s human resources vision and the resulting global orientations and strategies, and for ensuring the implementation of human resources plans, policies and initiatives in line with the company’s culture and mission.
You will advise and guide management and all managers towards the approaches to be favored in the application of human resources plans, policies and initiatives. You will also act as an expert in directing, coaching and supporting the members of your human resources team, particularly in the areas of talent acquisition, induction and integration, retention, compensation and benefits, skills development, performance management, succession planning and labor relations.
Your role and main responsibilities will be :
- Analyze the effectiveness of existing policies and procedures and make the necessary recommendations to maintain or implement new management practices in keeping with the realities of today’s job market.
- Analyze human resources activities and be creative in making the necessary adjustments to ensure the effectiveness of the overall approach.
- Act as a consultant and resource person available to optimize the quality of support offered to managers and help maintain a managerial approach in line with values.
- Develop and ensure, with the team, the implementation of a uniform human resources management process across the company, taking into account current practices.
- Ensure the implementation of strategic workforce and succession planning.Ensure that all human resources initiatives, policies and procedures comply with Canadian and U.S. regulations, legislation and best practices.
- Maintain good labor relations in both unionized and non-unionized environments. Lead and support existing teams in adopting appropriate labor relations management practices.
- Ensure effective talent acquisition, integration, training and retention within the company.
Requirements and skills / Profile sought
- Bachelor’s degree in administration, human resources management or industrial relations and 15 years’ experience in human resources, including 10 years in a similar management position.
- Extensive experience of the human resources function in Canada and a good knowledge of the requirements of the function in the United States.
- Recognized expertise in the various fields of human resources management, and a track record of significant achievements.
- Experience in negotiating collective agreements.
- Abilities to motivate, mobilize and develop your team through your strategic thinking and actions and your achievements.
- Fluent in spoken and written French and English.
- Available for occasional travel to different company sites.
- Strategic, engaging and inspiring leader.
- Business acumen and persuasive skills.
- Decision-making skills aligned with business issues.
- Demonstrates impact and influence with colleagues and collaborators while demonstrating flexibility in interactions.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and ability to establish good working relationships.
- Excellent listening and tactful communication skills.
- Integrity, ethics, discretion, versatility, adaptability and empathy.
- Creativity and innovation.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to supervise staff and manage operations effectively.
- Organizational patience and ability to manage large-scale change.
Reasons to join Bitumar
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Paid training, development and professional dues.
- On-site parking and gym.